Re: Did a quick Mobius gig today :-)

On 4 maj 2006, at 01.42, mark sottilaro wrote:

> I'm at your Apple Podcast site and I'm loving your
> tunes. (as usual)  I don't know how much of that is
> looped with Mobius, but I'm going to assume that
> "Mobius Flute Solo" is.

Yes, that flute solo was just a "mobius first take". Mobius has this
key command that lets you push "start recording" and then you go
ahead and play something. When you're finished you press the key for
"stop recording" and the key for "save recording". Then you will find
your gig as a nice stereo 32 bit wav file inside the Mobius folder.
With this piece I put that live looping file on a track in Ableton
Live and then I added a drum loop to it. So the drum loop wasn't
there when I played the flute and did the loop mangling.

"Move Italia" is also a strict Mobius standalone looping performance
(telecaster through fireworx --> looper laptop). "Journey" is
strictly EDP (50w tube top + 1 12" closed cabinet miced into the EDP
- it may sound "sequenced" because I was using a cello bow for
playing the stratocaster at some part). "Saxing Out" is no looping at
all, just some stuff programmed in Logic and a sax solo overdubbed.

> As with the other tracks, I
> hear sequenced stuff as well as your live looping.
> When you play live, as in the gig today, do you
> include that aspect?

No. Plain "instrument ---> effects ---> looping".

> If so, what hardware or software
> are you using?  Is it coming from the same laptop
> that's running Mobius?  How do it go? HOW DO IT GO?!

I don't use additional sounds live.

When producing recorded music I may refine a recorded looping
performance by chopping up parts, moving them around, filtering, side-
chaining dynamic effects or whatever. All that done in Logic.
Recently I produced a recording of "live looping" without doing any
looping at all. I set up a good mic and used a flute to play a big
number of layers in a linear way, no looping - just recording. Of
course I had imagined all layers and loops, so I knew how to play
each layer without the need to hear them looped back "in
orchesrtation". Then I made a big bowl of coffee and started chopping
up the sound file in Logic and move my phrases into positions on
parallel tracks to form the envisioned loop layers. Just the same old
cheap way out that movie directors use when the do not shot
everything in the order it will be presented in the movie, but rather
in the order that is most convenient according to whether, geographic
location etc. If you know the details you can simply fabricate them
and glue them together later into the finished form. Also, things get
less boring if you do them differently each time ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)