Guild guitar (was Re: Further OT: Selmer Clones (was RE: Joscho Stephan)

Warren;
That is one great guitar.  I love Guilds - they have an Epiphone play/
feel.  Guild started in NY ('52/'53) and the workforce included many of
Epiphones finest craftsman who didn't want to relocate when Epiphone
moved operations to Phila.(?).  The body shapes/ designs and neck
profile matches those of the Epi's from the same period.  The guitar
you have is their top of the line archtop and is from their New
Hampshire production period - small operation = more care/ hands on
construction.  Vintage "market price" on your guitar is around $5000,
probably more.  I would advise not selling it unless, of course, you
just don't like it - it would be one of those "kick yourself in the
butt" memories you'd look back on.
You are correct on the plywood guitar observation.  (I'd highly
recommend the Epiphone Elitist series Broadway if you're looking for a
professional quality gigging electric archtop that is every bit
comparable to a Gibson L5 but for 1/4 the price - I AB'd them.)
If interested: I've got a couple pics of some of my guitars at <<
http://homepage.mac.com/pmimlitsch/PhotoAlbum12.html >>
The '30's Epiphone Emperor (gibson/epi reissue - 1992) is my main
gigging guitar for solo/ small ensemble gigs.  (I did put an Armstrong
floating pickup on the pickguard since the photo was taken.)
Thanks for chatting. Take care. - Paul