Re: generative music ..was: Re: Did a quick Mobius gig today :-)

On 4 maj 2006, at 16.11, Ben wrote:

> Yes, that's something I'm after for my listening experience.
> I'm trying some generative experiments now, it's so boring to have
> to listen to the same record over and over.
> Does anyone know if there are (hardware) ways to play (small)
> fragments of audio in random order?

Ableton Live. You can set the probability for two actions to occur.
Actions are which audio fragment to play next, and "play random
fragment" is one of the options. If you want to check it out with
Live this function is to be found inside the (clip) Launch Box and
it's called "Follow Actions".

Nord Lead G2 has some useful synth/filter random functionality for
generative music.

> I tried to burn a lot of wav file on a CD and use the random
> function of my CD player but:
> 1- the delay between 2 tracks is huge (even if there is a lot of
> silence in some minimalist tracks)
> 2- the noise made by the player when changing tracks is disturbing.

Once I saw/heard an installation similar to that when visiting an
Audio Art Exhibition. Someone had put seven CD players in a room
with  CD's of different sinus tones; each CD track = a new note
pitch. Then all seven machines were set to random play. Sounded very
cool.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)