Re: MaxMSP looping -

On May 5, 2006, at 1:40 PM, Bill Edmondson wrote:

> I have a question. Is max practical for developing a looper app that
> has
> midi sync capability? That is, locking or generating to midi clock and
> establishing loop times that stay in sync with external percussion
> devices.

I've never done it, but I've seen people do real amazing synced up
stuff with midi and acoustic instruments. There are also other ways to
sync inside max besides midi. some very cool stuff. So the answer seems
to be yes, but I've never messed with it....I hope stefan will chime in
here tonight.

> On a similar note, what do you see for performance and latency of the
> apps
> you write. Any success with low latency and performance when using the
> max
> vst wrappers?

So much of that is dependent on your machine, plugs used and your
interface. I've got to admit, when I left the m-audio for the MOTU
ultralite I found out that the m-audio seemed to be adding latency,
less with the MOTU, but I'm not a scientist so I don't know how much.
With the MOTU, I barely notice latency, but it is there. (And the
converters sound way better, too.) I'm running a g4 1.5 ghz powerbook
and the vst~ object seems very efficient, I've got about ten VSTs going
inside my rig and then my own patches and looper.

Somebody commented after a gig last week that I had WAY LARGE LATENCY
at one point and wanted to know if I was having trouble with my rig.
But I didn't! I was running a stereo delay with no dry mixed in....I
thought that was funny that they would hear that and call it
latency.....it was ART, man! well.....

jeff

Jeff Kaiser
http://www.jeffkaisermusic.com