new loop piece; two loops!

Recorded yesterday: a new studio performance of "Quarter to Five."

http://www.trufun.com/audio/Quarter-to-Five_v1.mp3

I recently bought some new gear, and now I am able to run two
independent loops. My first application of this facility is to create
what I call "lenticular clouds": using an overdrive to create a rich,
sustained tone, and a volume pedal, and working with a loop of
arbitrary duration, I create multiple layers of notes that fade in
and out, overlapping at random times and in random combinations of
harmonious and dissonant intervals.

Having created a cloud layer, I switched to the other looper and
started a piece called "Quarter to Five" and developed two or three
distinct sections, using different guitar tones and effects.

I recorded the entire mess into the Microtrack and then loaded it
into the Sonic Solutions digital editing system, where I was able to
edit out the boring/sloppy/distorted parts and then build the final
composition by crossfading between the two main sections of "Quarter
to Five" (one simpler, with more discernable "acoustic" guitar and
the other fuller, with several layers of legato guitar melody).  I
also made multiple copies of the cloud bed and arranged them on four
tracks, out of sync, creating new areas of dissonance and complexity.

Now I'm trying to decide if I'm going to schlep all this gear over to
the Larkspur Cafe for tonight's show - which has to do with whether I
feel I'm ready to use it in public after only one day of rehearsal at
home.

--

David Gans - david@trufun.com or david@gdhour.com
Truth and Fun, Inc., 484 Lake Park Ave. #102, Oakland CA 94610-2730