Re: ...what to go for then?

Mine's got no issues with sound quality.  I run it in
the loop of my amp and it's dead silent.  Out front
it's hissy as hell, but that's not where I put it.
And for some reason, if I put it in front of my little
solid state Crate practice amp I don't get noise.  So
it's not simply a matter of placement, either.

Scott