Re: ? re: really "weird" solo loopers...

On Sep 17, 2006, at 5:52 PM, hazard factor wrote:

> I don't really understand the phrase 'creative music' though, since
> there is
> a lot of creativity in developing the perfect pop or jazz song too,
> just not
> in the same way.

I interviewed Bay Area musician Dan Plonsey a while back for a
newsletter I did...I like what he says. "creative" is an attribute, not
just an adjective....

"I've used the creative music label mostly since I first heard it in
the 70s. Braxton used it, the Creative Music Center (where I studied
with Roscoe Mitchell, Leo Smith, Karl Berger et al) used it, Cadence
Magazine uses it -- it's a term which is recognized by many people. I
don't like improvised music or free jazz or even avant-garde (which I
used to use), because those are all limiting: I'm very much a composer,
I don't know if I play jazz, and I think of myself being more on the
edges than always in the advance. Besides, I do like the implication
that there is un-creative music, because there is! I would like to ally
myself personally and in genre with musicians for whom creativity and
imagination are the most important forces. For Sun Ra creativity was a
special necessity, to the point that his Creator and his God appear to
be different entities: the Creator creates, while God is more of an
abstraction. So I see the "creative" in creative music as an attribute
of the music itself: the music itself creates things, it doesn't just
sit there. It's not just an idea."

best regards,

Jeff

Jeff Kaiser