Re: keeping loops interesting

Jeff Kaiser wrote:

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 10:38 PM, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
>
>> h) To follow all of these, you have to build the looper yourself...
>
> Yeah, Stefan! Now it gets interesting.....

I will point out, that this does not force anybody to use Max at all, I
built my first looping instrument around hardware, I had a digitech 7.6
seconds delay, a SPX 1000 and a pitchshifter, patched together with a
mixing board. I consider this to be a self built looper/instrument as
well. (That time I didn't think in terms of loops...)
Max is just making it more easy for me...

Stefan

> I like letting go of harmony.
>
> To rephrase Glenn Gould's Dictum:
>
> "All great loop music must be contrapuntal."
>
> Harmony is a byproduct of counterpoint....

There are two ways of thinking harmony, the other one does not need to
be let go...
But whatever you learned what harmony has to be... forget it.
It is obvious why counterpoint is the most difficult part of teaching
composition, especially for those teachers who think it has to do with
the ability to compose like Palestrina (they haven't experienced
counterpoint yet themself, though Palestrina without doubt did know
it!... ;-)

> The four elements for me:
>
> 1) Dynamics
> 2) Pitch
> 3) Velocity
> 4) Texture

maybe 5) sound? but that could be texture...
and for sure 6) emotion/connection/devotion...

Stefan

--
Stefan Tiedje------------x-------