Re: My Thanksgiving Vacation Project: Building a new looping computer w/Core 2 Duo

On 23 nov 2006, at 13.11, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> What sort of effects or stacks of effects are you proposing would
> take 100% of your CPU power, Per?

I gave one example on the last post. Typically the effect patches you
find in a FirworX or Eclipse.

> I assume you mean that of a single core, based on the above.  I'm
> confused why you would say that
> 50% is a criteria for a rock solid performance system. That's like
> saying the max speed of your car is 120
> miles per hour, but you better only drive if 60 miles per hour if
> you want it to perform optimally.  Have
> you experienced crashes with the meter at over 50% on a duo core?
> This is the type of behavior that
> Intil ingineers would want to know about, becaues I'm certain they
> didn't design the duo core to become
> unstable above 50% processor utilization.

Not only "unstable" but also increasing the risk of artifacts in the
audio streams. With some applications you can simply hear that and
listen "by ear" to where the CPU strain limit kicks in for fidelity.
Also, on these matters you just can not compare engineers and
musicians -  as well as you can not compare cars and computers ;-))
The Intel or Apple engineers are not putting one percent of their
working hours into matching the needs of musicians, simply because
this is such a tiny segment of the market (you may not believe that
by briefly looking at Apple's advertising, but truth is those ads
rely on a lot of hype referring creative artists and this does spill
over into sales to customers that are not in fact working audio
artists themselves, but maybe fans). The applications typically
addressed by Intel, Apple and other manufacturers are the normal
office suites and as for multi media applications mostly following
the non-real-time context where your final work is rendered to disk.
This "manufacturer's bias" is not a problem for DAW applications
(ProoTools, SX, Logic) but for real-time applications in music I
would definitely say it makes the line blurred.

I'm just saying that I like the Firewor'x better than my one core 2
GHz centrino, because with that hardware I can do sound design up to
99.9 percent of its CPU recourses and the audio sounds good all the
way. In software you have to trust the developers and if they were
serious they put some code into your software that puts other
routines on hold (like the graphics for example) when the CPU is
under heavy strain from audio processing. But not all audi app's or
plug-ins are designed in such a "smart" way. When you rely on a
system like Bidule plus VST plug-ins the computer needs that big CPU
headroom. Headroom is also essential when looping in Mobius (or other
looping applications) because when you get to eight tracks playing
back eight one minute loops simultaneously it will tax the CPU a lot
more than in the beginning of the concert where you were only using
two loops.

As soon as I get rich I will buy a faster laptop - hopefully a Four
Core or a Double Duo... thingy  ;-)

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)