Re: EWI looping by Jeff Kashiwa on youtube

Per Boysen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just noticed there is a video clip of Jeff Kashiwa live-looping on  a
> Lexicon Jamman (?) with an EWI 4000s:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUtdP3jQKUA
>
> It's not very spectacular music style-wise, pretty traditional  Weather
> Report influenced fusion jazz, but Jeff is such a good player  and this
> is a great chance to see this new model of the EWI (Electric  Wind
> Controller) that has good built-in synth sounds. In this video  you can
> see how Jeff plays deep bass lines and high pitched "soprano  sax"
> melodies almost at the same time by using the same synth patch,  only
> jumping up and down in octave while overdubbing into the jamman.  The
> new EWI also has good "synth-like" performing options like  portamento
> and breath controlled attack- or filter cutoff envelopes  which you
> don't see demonstrated in this video.
>
> Myself I was incredibly lucky to pick up an EWI 4000s for a very
> friendly price in San Jose and since I got back and started playing  it
> I think I have never used my pitch-down-octave patches at all!  It's so
> cool to loop with an instrument that covers over eight  octaves. Earlier
> this year I was very interested in getting a Chapman  Stick to loop
> with, for the huge octave span, but my EWI has  completely seduced me to
> forget about that Stick Crush ;-)

Hi, Per;

Congratulations on the EWI purchase. I think you've managed to find
something even niche-ier than a looper.

I've been playing a 4000s since last spring (and a 3000 for about
fifteen years before that);  in fact, I think I played a bit of EWI/Nord
Micromodular on the Y2K6 Kyberloopfest session.

I haven't made up my mind yet about the 4000's onboard analog modeling
synth. It doesn't seem as rich as the real analog module that came with
the 3000, though I have to admit that I haven't had time to fully
explore the new one. Still, the 3000's module could get pretty fat;
after hyperventilating on tenor for years in a futile attempt to be
heard over guitarists, four oscillators worth of analog synth was...
empowering.

Matt Traum's company is a good resource for wind synth-specific patches,
accessories and advice.

http://www.patchmanmusic.com/

Brian