Re: Linking Multiple EDPs for Group Looping/Improv

On 27 nov 2006, at 00.49, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> Per, can you share any of those recordings with the group? I
> thought they were online somewhere.
'
Sure! I found this unlinked old page: http://www.looproom.com/
looptour2003/edu.php

> Regarding the syncing of multiple EDPs...you could do it so that
> you aren't synced to a meter, correct?  I don't understand this
> feature of the EDPs that well,

Simply connect a stereo cable between the two brother sync jacks.
This is not syncing a specific meter, the meter is what you play
(eventually...), but rather a "global timing base". It's established
by the first EDP that creates a cycle. Other brother synced musicians
can start loops on their local EDPs and depending on what 8ths/cycle
setting they are using their own EDP makes up a cycle length (and a
BPM tempo) related to the global beat. If a local musician have other
gear synced to his EDP by MIDI clock this slaving gear will follow
his own local tempo, which may be the same or a division of the
global tempo.

> It would be cool if Mobius has a features like this, to be able to
> connect multiple Mobius apps on many laptops.

Mobius already has that, because each track in Mobius is like a
brother synced EDP. You can create parallel loops on different tracks
that do not have the same length and eventually get back on the same
down beat only after many, many rounds. So if you MIDI Clock sync a
bunch of EDPs running Mobius it equals a bunch of brother synced EDP
racks ;-))

Kris, I don't understand your constant implications that "sync" would
be something statical or mechanical in musicianship. You don't have
to play stiff just because there is a global tempo somewhere! The
best "free, non-meter," improvisations usually follow a tempo pretty
close - it's just that no one in the group plays it out explicitly.
Rick Walker is a good example of a great musician that can play
ritardando or accelerando over a stiff tempo - I mean actually slowly
change his playing tempo until he hooks up with the sync in double-
or halfspeed. Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones is a drummer that
has always done that in a more minimal approach... well, he, he...
maybe we should just say that he was temporarily absent minded behind
his drum kit and fell back into a slower tempo and then woke up a bit
and started to catch up with the rest of the band over quite a long
period. I have always loved that drum playing. One drummer that is on
many Ry Cooder records have the same elastic tempo feel - don't know
his name but it sounds great to me (and STuart Copeland, not to
forget)! One time I was talking with a Death Metal producer here and
this guy told me that he never wants the drummer in the band to
overdub a tambourine in the studio, because "drummers play too
perfectly on the beat". He wants guitarists to lay down the
tambourine because " for a guitarist, or a singer, the important
thing is not to lay down a steady beat - it is to put on a show and
create tension".

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)