Re: Linking Multiple EDPs for Group Looping/Improv

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per Boysen" <perboysen@gmail.com>

>> It would be cool if Mobius has a features like this, to be able to
>> connect multiple Mobius apps on many laptops.
>
> Mobius already has that, because each track in Mobius is like a  brother
> synced EDP. You can create parallel loops on different tracks  that do
>not
> have the same length and eventually get back on the same  down beat only
> after many, many rounds. So if you MIDI Clock sync a  bunch of EDPs
> running Mobius it equals a bunch of brother synced EDP  racks ;-))

Got it, but I meant connecting more than one Mobius application on a
computer, via MIDI,
and between multiple computers. I suppose anything is possible with MIDI
and
a MIDI
junction (grand central station) box of some sort.

> Kris, I don't understand your constant implications that "sync" would
>be
> something statical or mechanical in musicianship. You don't have  to
>play
> stiff just because there is a global tempo somewhere! The  best "free,
> non-meter," improvisations usually follow a tempo pretty  close - it's
> just that no one in the group plays it out explicitly. [cut]

I think we are just talking about different things here. I'm talking more
about using
sync to quantize what we play and force it into a meter, or making it
easier
for multiple
people to play in meter, or to a pre-set pattern. I do understand that
regardless of there being a
meter in place, you can nonetheless do what you want...I do it frequently
in
jazz.  I guess I'm
speaking more of meter syncing when that function alters what we
originally
play. It basically
comes down to control for me....I'm a conrol freak. :)  I like to control
the flow of
music myself, so a constant meter in the background, even if I can play
outside of it
would serve no purpose for me, unless I want it to change what I play
(whic
isn't the
case).

Sorry for the confusion. I probably never explained myself on this one
that
well.

K-