RE: Vintage Gear, E-bait etc

Except for collectables, I contend that most instruments are much cheaper
today than they were in the past.

To prove this, I use "Five Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S.
Dollar
Amount, 1790 - 2005" at:
http://www.mswth.com/uscompare/

Depending on how you calculate the relative value,
$100 from:
 1965 is worth $500-1700
 1975 is worth $300-760
 1985 is worth $160-300
 1995 is worth $130-170
today.

Due to market inefficiencies, some items were undervalued when they first
came
out.  Some were overvalued.  I would also contend that the overall quality
and
consistency of modern instruments is much higher that it was back in the
1960s
due to improved manufacturing methods, particularly CNC.

So that Fender Precision bass you picked up in 1965 for $300 should be
worth
$1500-5100 today, if you don't take account of loss of value due to wear or
increase in value due to collectability.

Cheers,
Kevin
http://www.TheNettles.com