live looping

howdy,

 can someone explain to me this "live looping" thing?
I've been using Ibanez DM-1100s for years by pushing
the "Hold" button and manipulating the speed,
repetition, and mod controls in real time. I don't
know of a way to add things to it once it's "locked".
Is this what you guys are discussing? Is there older
thrifty type harware out there that will allow me to
add sounds as i manipulate the echoes? Am I on the
right track here? thanx
Rig