Subject:        Re: Tubes in Pre-amps: your expertise and honest opinion.
Author: Douglas Baldwin <coyotelk@optonline.net>
Date:            Thu,  4 Jan 2007 15:14:11 +0000

I've been watching this thread just a bit, and didn't bother posting until
now, when Fluke wrote:

> Speaking as a designer of SS audio circuits with > 15 years experiance >
>behind me, we can satisfy the tube purists (both audiophile and guitar >
>player) without too much trouble...
> ...but only until the blindfolds come off.

Please, please, Fluke, tell me what solid state audio chain will sound and
respond like any of my tube amps? I'm a guitar player, and much as I LOVE
SS gear for so many applications; and much as I've tried SS amps,
sometimes for months at a time; and much as I would LOVE to have a
preamp/power amp chain that required less expensive maintenance and less
carrying weight, I've never experienced anything that comes close to any
of my tube amps (Music Man RD-50, Acoustic G100T, Fender Pro-Reverb, Mesa
Boogie Lone Star Special, Carvin V3).

Please, please, please (to quote the late great Godfather of Soul) tell me
where I will find a SS power amp of any wattage that will respond like the
power sections in these amps, or where there is a SS preamp that will
massage my tone like any of these?

I play without blindfolds, but with an open mind, open ears, and open
heart.

Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
www.thecoyote.org
coyotelk@optonline.net