RE: Accompanying yourself with live dance beats

Hi Mech,
I've seen one of Kid Beyond's videos on a website. I have serious doubts
about beat-boxing with my voice. But that's kind of the idea I have only
I wasn't planning on using my voice.

I suppose I could buy a CD of electronica-dance,  and just play that and
jam over it,  but I thought it would be much more interesting to create
a relatively simple (3-4part) groove using pre-recorded samples, found
sounds, sound effects, possibly a Handsonic, or a hand percussion
devices played live into a mic.

I figured I'd need a way to create a percussion groove line to start
things off.  I'll check out Muman's suggestion.  Or perhaps I could find
what I need on a CD of loops.  Then loop ~ 8 bars of that repeating on
one track.

Could I then use synch'd tracks to add layers to the groove ?

I will definitely check out Rick's site,  and be in touch with Muman
Thanks!
-Qua

---from --Original Message-----

Qua,

Here's a resource: run ( yes, run; do not walk, do not pass go, yadda
yadda yadda) quickly over to Rick Walker's site --
http://www.looppool.info/ -- and grab any or all of his CD's.  Rick's
been putting together looped grooves using only various found
objects/sounds for years now.  He's a regular contributor to the list
and is very forthcoming with his tools and techniques.  What tricks
you can't get from the liner notes or his website, I'm sure he'll be
willing to answer with just a quick email.

My favorite is (still) Purple Hand, but I've also a soft spot for
Translucent Dayglo Lime Green Plastic.  And Faux Voix is a great
example of what can be done by applying similar techniques to voice.

Speaking of voice, you might also skip over to the Ableton site, and
check out the live beatboxing video by Kid Beyond (
http://www.ableton.com/kid-beyond/ ).  I don't know if you're
inclined toward using a mic to lay down some grooves, but he's got
some great technique for putting together backing drums and sfx on
the fly by Live Looping.

That should get you started, at the very least.  :)

        --m.

--
_______
"Now Simulcast on Crazy People's Fillings"