Re: Electric Guitar - fix for static noise?

Greetings, Per, from the Long Island that sprouts from the bottom of New
York-
    I encountered this problem (static discharge from a pickguard) exactly
once before in my recent memory. It was on a G&L Strat, brought to me by a
client for repair. It took quite a few minutes for me to even figure out
what was making it happen. Once I sussed it out, I called G&L to see if
they
had any advice. They offered to take the guitar back and replace the entire
pickguard/pickup harness, which they did.

    I almost wish I had tried to fix it myself, as it was such an unusual
problem. My guess is that either the plastic of the pickguard is somewhat
unusual and generates some kind of discharge, or that there is some
interaction between the ground/earth in the circuit and the pickguard.
Unfortunately, I would forsee this requiring a lot of
disassembly/testing/reassembly to eliminate. I trust you know your way
around your axe, Per, and you could just dive in, take it slow and logical,
and see if you can either eliminate it somehow.... or just replace the
pickguard. Sorry I can't give any more advice, but at least I can confirm
that the problem has occurred elsewhere.

    Please let us all know how you solve it!
Best,
Douglas Baldwin, coyote-at-large
www.thecoyote.org
coyotelk@optonline.net