CT-GREAT SPEECHES is online !

Hi people, I' m proud to announce that the CT-GREAT SPEECHES project is now online and free download.
Thanks to all members, for theyr creativity, patience and ispiration.

and - for those of you who are interested - a "Listening guide" to the project.
As usual, comments are welcome.

Listening guide to the CT-Great Speech project

The aim of this project is to compose a music to "furnish" a

famous speech. A "great speech" is a speech that has a

relevant historical, religious, political, or social content.

First time I started to think at this project was when I worked on a film about the Apollo 11 moon landing. The interesting part of that work was to think to the speech as a part of the music, the leading part. Nothing new compared to My life in a bush of ghost (Brian Eno - David Byrne,  1981), but it was new for me experimenting the Eno-Byrne creative process.

I started to work on other speeches and when I realized that it would take most part of the time i’ve to spend in music, I open it to the CT-Collective.

I'm now very proud to announce the publishing of the CT-Great Speeches project, my first experience as a CT-Collective project coordinator.

This was an amazing experience for many reasons: different musical approaches and speeches choosen by the members, different ways of working on the samples and many contacts with skilled musicians, from all around the world.

It's interesting notate that some members have choosen speeches regarding similar events or content: 2nd world war, missions in space and spirituality are three recourring themes in this CD.

That inspired me to create a playlist accordingly to these three themes and here's how it works.

The CD starts with a great dense, obscure and emotional atmosphere, where you can hear the famous W. Churchill’s one-line quote, "we'll fight 'em on the beaches" (1). Next songs contain the tone colored declaration of war (2) by the italian dictator B. Mussolini, in a crescendo rock track. It's interesting notice that both songs end with a sample (birds in the 1st, a child crying in th 2nd) that introduce a reality context.

 The third song contains a Michael Moore speech, about the U.S. President G. Bush feeling like God (3); M. Frank  had built a very rithmic and straordinarly accessible track.

The Meaning of God is the original title of the speech held by M. Gandhi that appears, after an ethereal looping textures, in Misterious Power (4), the song i composed for this project.

As it was the dark side compared to the Gandhi message, follows the intense composition by Mike Fazio, about the The Jim Jones Jonestown Cult Suicide Speech (5).

Moon 1969 (6) opens the edge of space missions. Just announced, like in the JFK speech, altered by Michael Peters in an onomatopoeic way, as it seems that you’re starting to fly ; or followed step by step, with an ear to the President R. Reagan announcing the mission and an ear to a radio station that was broadcasting in real time the Challenger Tragedy (7), like in the obscure ambient song composed by Milco Montagna.

Spirit and science converge in a unique element in the A. Hofman speech choosen by Anders Ostberg for his drone track, about a new natural wiev of life (8).

Artificious is the starting point for the (impossible) 17 U.S. Presidents  conference (9) Norelpref created. As an answer to all that politics talking, i’ve put Now is the time (10) contains a part of the famous I’ve a dream speech held by M. L. King in Washington in 1963 (10). I compose it before starting the CT project, and even if i’ve encouraged the members to take in account this speech, noone used it.  So i put it here, thinking it could be a good final song.

At the end, i feel it was an interesting experience where all members work hard to get the best idea, or musical and technical approach and inspiration.

Thanks to you all for your work, collaboration and patience, i’ll hope it will be a second CT-Great Speeches project to follow.

Roma, 15 gennaio 2007

                                        Fabio Anile