Bass FX

Title: Bass FX

So this is what Im trying to do.
I want to record a loop  with my standard unaltered bass sound.  Then I would like to be able to be able to add some effects to the bass sound to either overdub or to just play along with the other loop.  Id like to get an all-in-one unit (like the pod xt-live, boss ME or GT) however I think that most bass specific units are limited in the type of effects that are available so I have been thinking about getting a guitar unit.

Is this possible or will it kill the low-end from my sound?  I still want it to be able to sound like a bass just with some added effects.  Of course there will be times when I don't mind that there is not a lot of low end but for the most part I need the "BIG BOTTOM."