Re: What do you think is necessary in order to have an excellentcomposition?

True, the structure isn't apparent until the piece is complete. The way
I view it is that, if a high point has occurred at roughly 2/3 of the
way through a tune, the end seems to arrive at a time that is expected
and pleasing.

Any pop song that has a guitar solo before the bridge or last verse
would roughly follow the model. Tons of Beatles tunes...for instance,
Here Comes the Sun. The building bridge after "sun, sun, sun, here it
comes" happens after two verses...then it's another verse, another
chorus and out. I mentioned Bach earlier, If I remember correctly in the
Chaconne or the ubiquitous cello suite prelude in G, the fastest
passages and highest note occur at a Rectanglish spot.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com