Immersive sound

 While there are such beautiful threads right now,  I thought it might be a
good time to ask about this.  Like many of you, I'm fascinated by sound,
and
also by 'music'.  One experience I'd like to create in live performance -
either in my home studio/music room,  or small venue,  is a sense of being
"immersed in the sound".    I'm not really referring to 'surround sound' ,
but a multi-channel system may be required.

Maybe a rear channel with a little delay added (reminiscent of the old
quadraphonic "ambient" speaker idea).

What do you think?
-Qua