Re: OT: The Police on Tour

The CD cases that come with Tool cds are pretty cool.  The last one had a stereoscopic viewer built in.

Tony

On 2/27/07, Ian Petersen < iep@mail.dk> wrote:
g>

> So, is there any designer today that will make automatically buy a disc,
> or at least take a second look?

I'm (thankfully) of an age where a Roger Dean or Hipgnosis cover would make
me run a mile. <g>

The only memorable and recognisable cover designers I can think of are
those that sprang from the loins of punk in the 70s/80s, e.g. Barney
Bubbles (Hawkwind 'In search of space', Elvis Costello 'Armed forces'),
Jamie Ried (Sex Pistols), Malcolm Garrett (Buzzcocks), Vaughan Oliver
(Anything on 4AD, especially Cocteau Twins) and Peter Saville (Anything on
Factory, epecially Joy Division/New Order).

I suppose there's less opportunity to do anything memorable on the small
space of a CD cover. Any individuality gets automatically sterilised by
that horrible contraption known as The Jewel Box.

Nowadays everyone just downloads their music so covers are pretty much
irrelevant ... !

  Ian

--
-==-=-=-