Re: the side effects of looping

I kind of do, but you have to try to make a part of
what you do a part of the band sound.  I've always
thought thet way, in the sense that I think in layers,
but mine was more of an orchestrated thing, I can hear
the complete song in my head.  really, all you have to
do is learn how to break those layers down into what
would be your part, then let the others figure out
their parts, while you'll have no control over what
they come up with, you know your part, and who knows,
if you think about it, you can still use those layers
to augment the rest of the band. Think of the studio
as one giant looper, the only difference being you are
looping in doses and not in real time.  Does this make
much sense?
--- Dan Katayama <dan.katayama@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've gotten so used to "looping" music that it's now
> really a part of "my
> sound".
> It's a way for me to express what I am feeling in
> its purest form.  I don't
> really think about what I'm doing,
> I don't calculate, so if I can just get a moment of
> what I feel on tape, I'm
> pretty happy.
>
> But from an instrumentation perspective, or creative
> aspect, I lose the
> opportunity to "push the envelope" with my music.
> And that is actually my choice.  I want to leave my
> music in its most
> natural form possible, mistakes and all.
> But I still wanted to put myself in a situation
> where I had no control.
> So I joined a band on the side.  A kind of wierd
> rock band.  And I feel out
> of control each time I play with them,
> and it has been exciting as hell.
> But I've come to notice, that I've lost the ability
> to "write" with a band.
> If they give me an idea, I can contribute, but to
> sit there and "write"
> spontaneously has been difficult.
> Because I'm still thinking in layers..I'm thinking
> slow...and somehow I've
> lost something.
>
> Do any of you guys know what I'm talking about?
>

> --
> kosukeweb
> http://home.comcast.net/~kkatayama76

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html