Re: Zipper Noise, an example

On 7 mar 2007, at 13.59, Charles Zwicky wrote:

> However, this is not why logic's automation is smooth.
> All logic automation is simply MIDI data.

I'm afraid you are misinformed on this. The internal data flow in
Logic is handled by an application specific format. That's why you
have to change any channel's automation functionality into "MIDI
mode" to record MIDI for automation (other modes being Read, Touch,
Latch and Write)

I don't have time to make an experiment that proofs it but if it
matters for you you might try something like writing track automation
of a repeated sound (some loop) for a rather long period, let's say
ten minutes. Graphically set the volume to increase or decrease very
little over that time span. I suggest something like using the mouse
to set the volume at the beginning and then increase it by the
smallest optional number for the end. Bounce the resulting audio to
disc as an audio file. Open that audio file in a sample editor and
study the curve of the actual audio produced. I think this curve
should give a true representation of the resolution of the automation.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)
www.looproom.com (international)