re: replace mode by function

Having used both the edp and the looperlative I have really come to
admire the EDP's interface and it's use of "long presses" e.g. to
maximize use of a limited number of buttons.  The Looperlative's
ability
to bind just about anything to a button is great, but you end up
having to access a lot more buttons (via bank switching on the
controller) to get the same functionality as the EDP's single button
bank.  It's an efficency / ergonomics issue.

-rabbi

>Generally I think the big strength of the EDP is it's user interface,
>the way it's possible to get so much functionality out of just a few
>buttons. Usually those buttons all do something useful, whatever state
>the
>edp is in. If the price for that is 2 button presses rather than 1
>(often the case) to get where you want then I accept that cost, partly

>because it's fun for the feet, and partly because the alternative is
>either
>less flexibility, or having to use more than one bank on the midi
>controller (which is even more button presses, and pretty dangerous in
>live situation.)

>I notice that the current trend, with LP-1 and Mobius (for instance)
is
>to create the scenario where you can do a whole bunch of stuff with
one
>"button".

>Could this be seen as

>Looper as instrument vs. Looper as effect ?

>In which case the "edp" approach is the "getting your hands dirty
>actually doing it yourself even if you have to practise the moves" way

>compared to the LP-1/Mobius way of "once it's set up, I just press a
>button
>and this wonderful thing happens".

>andy butler

Never miss an email again!