RE: VST folder

[Qua]
> Using  PC.  Each time I install a VST, it puts the VST file in a
different
> folder .   Is it OK to create a folder under C:\Program Files,  called
"VST
> Folder", and then copy the .dll file from each VST into that folder?

There does not appear to be a standard location for VST plugins, but
in my experience the most common location that installers use is

   c:\Program Files\VstPlugins

But I've seen others.  Some of the big DAW hosts default to a plugin
directory inside the host installation directory.  They usually give
you a way to change the plugin directory.  A few hosts allow you
to specify more than one directory to search for plugins, but
most only allow one.

Almost all plugins are single .dll files and you can copy these
anywhere after installation.  Be careful though, a few the more
complicated plugins have other data files besides the .dll and they
may expect them to be in the same directory as the .dll.

Mobius has a lot of extra data files, but you do not need to copy
these into the VstPlugins folder.  It will store the location of the
Mobius installation directory in the Windows registry so it knows
where to find things.  You can then copy the mobius.dll file to any
directory.  You cannot however move the entire Mobius installation
directory to another location, only the mobius.dll file.

[Per]
> The "normal" way seems to be to put the VST folder inside the
> "Programs" folder , not the "Program Files" folder. Because of
> this I need to manually move the Mobius dll file into that folder
> because so far the Mobius installators put it in the "Programs/VST"
> folder. Strange.

That's a surprise!  The Mobius installer should not be doing this, it
usually uses c:\Program Files\VstPlugins.  The "C:\Program Files" part
comes from the Windows registry so this may be different if you've
installed Windows in an unusual way.  But the installer should
always be using VstPlugins inside the program files folder.

Jeff