Re: Mics

Don't know about the 906. I learned about the 409 and 609 from Mike Gillies who works with Metallica. The 409 looks identical to the 609 but in usual mic manufacturer fashion, they 'improved' it and, rumor has it, it doesn't sound as good. But I've used the 609 in the studio here and have had it used on my amps live and it sounds good to me!

Don't know if they'd be a good all around mic. But I did read about someone using a Shure Green Bullet (nasty harp mic) for vocals and stuff so who knows? Anything goes!

Still think I like the Sennheiser 421 better for all around. Great for toms, kick, guitar amps, nuclear explosions. Also, did a live TV thing where they mic'd my acoustic guitar with a 421 and it sounded really great. Paul Smith says the older 421s are the ones to get. Don't own any of those so can't say but he has pretty good ears for guitar amp mic'ing and electric guitars in general.

I have to go on the recommendations of friends I trust on a lot of this stuff because music stores give me the jitters. Too many Van Halens... too much data... big hair, hype etc. So I generally buy stuff that's been recommended highly by folks I trust and who's work I've heard... and then force it to do what I need by placement, eq etc.

Pink Floyd at Pompeii? The wildest looking mic is the Sony machine gun. Can't remember the number. Very expensive. Tried it and didn't like it... but it sure looks cool. David Sylvian uses one on vox. And his vox sound great! But it didn't work for me so I got the Neumann M149.

richard sales
glassWing farm and studio
vancouver island, b.c.
800.545.6846