From: "RICK WALKER" <looppool@cruzio.com>
To: "LOOPERS DELIGHT (posting)" <Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com>
Sent: 6/8/07 1:43 PM
Subject: BASS LOOPING INTERVIEW from 2001

I was doing some live looping research for a writer doing an article for a
drum magazine and
stumbled upon this 2001 roundtable interview with Michael Manring, Steve
Lawson
and myself that I had completely forgotten had existed.

This really brought back fond memories and made me reflect on how far
we've
come in the
past 6 years in the live looping scene.

Rick Walker

http://www.globalbass.com/archives/oct2001/the_loop.htm

In The Loop
A Roundtable discussion with  Michael Manring, Steve Lawson, and Rick
Walker

by Daniel Elliott

  Most of the time it's business as usual for the professional music
community, but every once in a while something really interesting happens.
And fortunately for me, I was lucky enough to be there when it did.  Last
July, solo bassists, Michael Manring and Steve Lawson, along with
percussionist, Rick Walker got together for a five date Northern
California
tour affectionately billed as The Worlds First Bass Looping Tour.  This
was
a follow-up to the highly successful Worlds First Bass Looping Festival
that
took place in Santa Cruz, California last January.  About a week before
the
tour kicked off, I got together with Michael, Steve and Rick via online
chat
to talk about their inspiration for this wild and wonderful idea.

Daniel: I'll start out with some questions.  Feel free to interject at
your
whim.

Steve: Great Daniel.  Go for it!

Daniel: Can you give me a little background on looping, specifically Bass
Looping?

Michael: I'll take a crack at this.  I'd say that looping probably goes
back
to the first experiments with electronic "Musique Concrete", but probably
the most listened to more modern beginning was with Robert Fripp and Brian
Eno.

Steve: Was that when you first became aware of it Michael?

Michael: Yes.  I had read about tape experiments about the time I got some
of those early records where those guys would actually make a long loop of
tape and run it through a reel-to-reel machine. Of course, there was the
original Echoplex - as far as I know the first device designed for tape
loop
stuff.  And I suppose you could consider the Mellotron a looping device.

Steve: The Mellotron was definitely a loop device!  We all owe a great
debt
to Rick Wakeman. laughs

Michael: I don't think it was too easy to make your own Mellotron loops,
though.

Daniel: How does tape looping and digital looping differ other than the
medium?

Rick: There is so much more flexibility with the advent of modern,
real-time
digital loopers.

Steve: I think that physicality played a big part in how people related to
tape looping; you could see it going round.  You could keep the tapes if
you
covered the record head.

Rick: I used to do this in the early eighties, in shows with people like
Henry Kaiser.  We would disengage the erase heads on the old tube
Echoplexes.  It gave us 3 minutes of loop time.  We would do a long piece