Re: Case against laptops

Quoting Claude Voit <c.voit@vtx.ch>:

> hey plugin junkies...

Not sure to whom you are referring here.  I switched to a laptop
because I am presenting my sets in surround sound.  Other solutions
may have been possible however the laptop proved an efficient
solution.  The laptop emerged as the easiest solution to play my
synthesizer tracks along with synchronized loops.

> where is the music gone  ?

Of course, it is all about making music.  However, to deliver a
performance under the constraints of limited set-up / take-down time,
and to travel great distances a dedicated laptop emerges as a solution.

For me personally, since I play the theremin, foot switches are
cumbersome because the movement, or even the motion to look at a
footswitch effects the intonation.  Not that I can't use my feet (I am
a classically-trained organist) however I am compelled to do whatever
it takes to perform the music.

> do something real with your fingers

I think you are suggesting that playing a keyboard, guitar, or a
traditional instrument is "real" whereas turning a knob or typing a
command into a computer is not.

I understand these feelings.  At the electro-music 2007 festival (held
two weeks ago) I heard amazing and expressive music that people
created by turning knobs and keying commands in real time.  I walked
away with a different and more positive impression of the "knob
twirlers".   One of the high points for me was to participate in an
improvised set that was organized by "Velva" ...

http://velva9000.com/electromusic2007.htm

Four of us played pitched instruments (Flute, Violin, Cosmotron,
Theremin), one of the members of Plork (Princeton Laptop Orchestra)
processed sound via the "Chuck" program ("Chuck" is a running server
that responds to real-time commands), another laptop utilized Ableton
Live, and I think Tim did some processing when he wasn't playing the
Cosmotron.

Far from "noize music", this impromtu ensemble jelled almost instantly
and we were all watching and playing off of each other.  The set
brought the listeners to their feet.

I agree that when a musician is seated at a laptop, then some other
visual is a good idea -- either lights, video, etc.

On my solo set, I didn't use video -- the set went fine however the
pictures look a bit bland.  I may use some lights or still projections
behind me in the future.  People tend to want to watch a theremin
performance so wild videos are probably not needed most of the time.

-- Kevin