Re: Performance Gestures [was: Re: Laptops]

Ditto.
I think the difference though is that in most folks mentality a piano IS
an instrument.  There is a one to one correspondence(usually) between what
is being played and what we hear.  The computer is, well, a
computer-programmed to play.

Not that there can't be instruments playnig through the laptop but when
one sits solely behind a laptop the word "Live" may or many not be
representative of what we're hearing. Yes we're hearing it live, but 10,
20, 90 percent could have been preprogrammed at home. Even if it wasn't
there's no guarantee. It ticks me off just like those that sequence 90% of
their stuff and may or may not play along.  Yes it sounds cool, yes it's
like the album/CD, but I didn't pay money so that the artist and I could
both listen to his/her music.

Granted the same can be done in a classical concert setting but it's
usually not-it is spontaneous.

For me that's why I don't use prerecorded loops in a gig-you get all me
all the time, every bit est moi.

plish