RE: Macbook for Windows looping

>>When running the Parallels program which allows for simultaneous
operation of both operating systems, it will be necessary to have 2 megs
of RAM for EACH side.<<

it'll work better if you have 2 gigs... :-)

>>I've also heard it said several times that running Parallels has NOT
been eficacious for audio on the Win side of the machine (and all
consensus is to not dream of using Win VISTA to run
music..............at least until their service pack 2 is available in a
year or two...............remember how unstable Win XP was before
service pack 2) but that it's better to run Boot Camp which is an either
or solution to the operating system.<<

I use parallels & a w2k/sp4 build. the "pc half" has half of the ram. it
can access most external devices & read/write using the mac's optical
drive.

I've found that the audio performs better (this is with vegas, with
maybe 20 stereo tracks & loads of plug-in effects) if I run the guest-OS
in "coherence mode" so that it all appears on the mac desktop. I think
that this is because the mac is now handling the graphics, rather than
the "pc" trying to do everything. whatever, it works for me.

the pc build in parallels benefits greatly (compared to my other pc
experiences, where I've become used to rebuilding or re-imaging drives
every three to six months because of registry/DLL/driver issues) from
the abstraction of the hardware components. it's as if the pc is
cocooned away from anything harmful. it works fine on the internet too,
because the mac is acting as a sort of firewall for it.

this is on an early (read: should be bust by now) macbook pro with
1.8GHz processors & 2 gigs of ram. & red polycarbonate bling-shells.

as usual, ymmv. I've found what works for me, but I'm not doing
live-looping, just tons of audio/video editing.

duncan.