Re: Ritardandi and accelerandi when live-looping.... any ideas?

On 14 aug 2007, at 18.34, Goddard, Duncan wrote:

> this weekend I was doing both just by whacking the tap-tempo button on
> the front of my repeater. am I missing something? the repeater has
> controllers &/or programme change numbers for tempo control too.
>
> btw, the v2 software is quite cool- I was able to tell that, with
> small
> tempo changes, the audio artefacts are much reduced. the tape-
> emulation
> controller (changes speed & pitch together) is quite fun.
>
> duncan.

Yes, I did that too back when I had a repeater. I never got to find a
way to really play the tempo as part of the musical looping
performance. A tap tempo pedal might work in a technical sense but to
keep tapping all through instant tempo changes it would interfere
with the need to kick other pedals for looping commands. The best
controller I can imagine for instant tempo control would be a beam
that, when activated, reads where in space you hold your instrument.
This controller should need to work with big gestures, so you won't
accidently change a sudden fifteen BPM just because you slipped a
tiny bit. Normal MDI expression pedals just don't have the physical
resolution fit for tempo control. I could also think about some one
meter long floor based rail sensor - yeah, that would be cool. Would
work fine with the repeater or any other (future) looper that does
time-stretching as good.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se (Swedish)