Re: First Loop Sync

Ableton Live is not very accurate when in the Sync Slave position
because it applies a bit of rounding to the incoming tempo. That's
why Augustus Loop has this setting "Rounding tempos for Live" that
you should activate. On the rare occasions I loop with Augustus under
Live I use to run two loopers in parallel and ususally they stay in
sync well, one being the Sync Master for the host LIve as well as the
other Augustus Loop looper. If I do a lot of REverse or changing of
the Beat Devisor one looper might slip a quarter note or so but then
I bring it back into the music by some Revers fiddling or simply kick
Tap Record and redo the loops right on the spot.

There are two concepts of looping in Augustus. Either you keep the
input all up and activate Freeze Loop when you don't want the loop to
layer the incoming signal or you keep selected the Punch In and PUnch
Out buttons to do all substituting Redord that is also quantized. Or
you combine both methods.

In live you can set up MIDI Clips that send the commands into
Augustus Loop and trig those MIDI Clips from external MIDI foot
pedals. YOu can also assign the MIDI foot pedals directly to the
Augustus' parameters or do a combination. Regard "having Live and
Augustus Loop" as the starting point from where you may design your
own looping system.

I think Live/Augustus is nice for music that gain from a loose timing
and I find it very fun to play for a "glitchy and experimental
sound", although I prefer the looper Mobius (unfortunately it runs
under Windows, but now that's not a big problem for todays' intel
Macs that can boot Win as well by the BootCamp utility). An improtant
feature that i miss in all Mac loopers of today is the Next Loop and
Previous Loop function. I like to work with five alternative loops on
two, or more, parallel tracks and then jump between these loops to
simultaneously build up and change up to five "song parts". To do
that with Augustus or SooperLooper you need to open a new instance of
the looper plug-in for every loop and that means almost as much
fiddling on the computer as if you would use Max/msp, Bidule or PD
construct a custom looper from scratch ;-))

You could read up on SooperLooper as well. Maybe that one suits your
needs better? It can run many parallel loops in sync. But it cant act
as the Sync Master for Live, but if you don't want to use any tempo
dependent effects of Live's that shouldn't be a problem. Another
host, that I like better, is Bidule. It can be used as a simple host
but it also has all kind of building objects all the down to strict
math for those who want to bild their own processing units. The
reason I prefer Bidule rather than Max is that the interface is based
on musical time (tempo, note duration etc) rather than absolute time
(milliseconds).

per