Re: First Loop Sync

Hi Per

First of all thanks again for sharing your knowledge....

So i have got augustus and live running....augustus as sync master
for live.  And with this the problem of synchronization is solved.
But the Augustus Freeze Loop button gets me nuts. Because I have to
hit it at the exact point where the loop begins. Is there anyway
around this?

> You could read up on SooperLooper as well. Maybe that one suits
> your needs better? It can run many parallel loops in sync. But it
> cant act as the Sync Master for Live, but if you don't want to use
> any tempo dependent effects of Live's that shouldn't be a problem.
> Another host, that I like better, is Bidule. It can be used as a
> simple host but it also has all kind of building objects all the
> down to strict math for those who want to bild their own processing
> units. The reason I prefer Bidule rather than Max is that the
> interface is based on musical time (tempo, note duration etc)
> rather than absolute time (milliseconds).

As you advice i am studying SooperLooper. But I hanven't found out a
way to have the output of each lop on sooperlooper in diferent live
tracks. Could you help me out on this one?

Cheers!

Ana ( on my way to live-loop)

On Aug 20, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Per Boysen wrote:

> [...]
> spot.
>
> There are two concepts of looping in Augustus. Either you keep the
> input all up and activate Freeze Loop when you don't want the loop
> to layer the incoming signal or you keep selected the Punch In and
> PUnch Out buttons to do all substituting Redord that is also
> quantized. Or you combine both methods.
>
> In live you can set up MIDI Clips that send the commands into
> Augustus Loop and trig those MIDI Clips from external MIDI foot
> pedals. YOu can also assign the MIDI foot pedals directly to the
> Augustus' parameters or do a combination. Regard "having Live and
> Augustus Loop" as the starting point from where you may design your
> own looping system.
>
> I think Live/Augustus is nice for music that gain from a loose
> timing and I find it very fun to play for a "glitchy and
> experimental sound", although I prefer the looper Mobius
> (unfortunately it runs under Windows, but now that's not a big
> problem for todays' intel Macs that can boot Win as well by the
> BootCamp utility). An improtant feature that i miss in all Mac
> loopers of today is the Next Loop and Previous Loop function. I
> like to work with five alternative loops on two, or more, parallel
> tracks and then jump between these loops to simultaneously build up
> and change up to five "song parts". To do that with Augustus or
> SooperLooper you need to open a new instance of the looper plug-in
> for every loop and that means almost as much fiddling on the
> computer as if you would use Max/msp, Bidule or PD construct a
> custom looper from scratch ;-))
>
> You could read up on SooperLooper as well. Maybe that one suits
> your needs better? It can run many parallel loops in sync. But it
> cant act as the Sync Master for Live, but if you don't want to use
> any tempo dependent effects of Live's that shouldn't be a problem.
> Another host, that I like better, is Bidule. It can be used as a
> simple host but it also has all kind of building objects all the
> down to strict math for those who want to bild their own processing
> units. The reason I prefer Bidule rather than Max is that the
> interface is based on musical time (tempo, note duration etc)
> rather than absolute time (milliseconds).
>
> per
>

> On 20 aug 2007, at 01.34, jnd wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks again Per for your advices...i managed to establish
>> midiclock sync between Augustus and Live.
>> But I could not achieve the goal of recording the following loops
>> in sync with the first one.
>> What i am doing wrong?
>> Can you explain me step by step? Idiot proof style....
>> This is becoming frustrating....i always thought  that preparing a
>> live looping setup on ableton live....would be a more
>> straightfoward thing. But it seems almost impossible...
>>
>> Thanks again Peri for your help....and anyone else willing to
>> share the secret of how to live loop with ableton live.

>>> 2. Click the "About/Register" button.
>>> 3. Select the "MIDI output" box.