Re: Following Acoustic Musicians with Looper

   Travis, excellent points!

   First off, I tend to use short loops when playing with others, so
they're easy to change quickly if I need to. And, as I'd alluded to, I may
overdub as I'm multiplying so it can more quickly morph a loop without
changing it immediately.  I've found though, that a good quick rhythm
adjustment of the loop, (so that its length is correct) even if the audio
material itself isn't always perfectly on time, still helps in the general
perception of timing.  If it's only short term, then it usually works out
fine...

   In the case where something really just doesn't match up at all, even
with the proper loop length or a gradual morphing, I tend to make it
granular and drop in new bits of audio rhythmically so I can still sort of
keep the old loop but add a new rhythm even if it is sort of not the
nicest, most delicate approach.  lol!  And then of course, when all else
fails, I can just do sus record and record / trigger a completely new loop
on the fly!  :)

   Smiles,

Cara  :)

At 07:43 AM 10/8/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>It's not clear to me how that would help, since simply changing the
>length of the loop to match a new tempo is only musically effective
>(in a conventional sense) if the audio information contained within
>the loop matches the tempo of what everyone else is playing.  I can
>see if you've got an ambient pad with no real "tempo", but having four
>125 bpm bar lengths full of 120bpm music (for example) isn't going to
>"work" in conventional music.  Do you re-record the loop information
>when you do this?
>
>TH
>
>On 10/8/07, Cara Quinn <CaraQuinn@onemodelplace.com> wrote:
> >    I use a combo of retrigger / sus-unrounded-multiply on the EDP.
>This
> > way I can comfortably play with others changing the loop length on the
>fly
> > and / or retriggering if necessary.  The performance is seamless and I
>can
> > overdub while multiplying as well...
> >
> >    For those not familiar with this EDP feature, it allows you to
>change
> > the loop length (either shorter or longer) on the fly and can be
> > unquantized so one can listen to a tempo and simply expand or contract
>the
> > loop in real time.  This is different from the Repeater in that the
>loop
> > actually has material added or subtracted from it with the EDP as you
>do
> > the multiply, whereas the Repeater can apply time stretching to the
>loop
> > using BPM rather than simply defining a length by ear as it were...
>

>--
>10/2/2007 6:43 PM

---
   View my on-line portfolio at:

http://www.onemodelplace.com/CaraQuinn

   "The only things I really think are important, are love, and each
other.  -Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~cara-quinn