Re: Expression vs Vol pedal for midi control

I am no expert, but Jeff Kaiser, who has done some research on this with
max/msp, says that any volume pedal will work, because it is just inducing
an amplitude change.  Any devise that introduces an amplitude change can
be
used with max/msp. You have to add a cycle object in the pedal loop, which
generates a sine wave...the pedal then decreases or increases the gain of
that sine wave, because it is inserted in the loop of the sine wave.  The
output of that is then converted to gain values, like -9.0db to -.5db, and
then I add a conversation object in max that converts the -9.0 to -.5db
range to 0 to 127.  I'm set, and I can do anything with that. I pull the
EV-5 back, and the values in max go to 0. Push it all the way down it goes
to 127. Then I map that 0-127 to any parameter in max. If I have a pitch
shifter, and I want to go from -24 to +24 pitch, I simply tell max (with
another small object) to convert that 0-127 range to -24 to +24. It's all
just number manipulation and conversation once you get in max. It's cool,
but I can do all this with no MIDI. I could even use an expression pedal
turn programs on and off...no MIDI.   I can do it all with amplitude
changes. Jeff Kaiser uses no MIDI. He uses EV-5s for expression changes,
plugging them directly into his audio interface, and he uses footswitches
turn programs on and off, also plugged into the audio interface...all with
amplitude changes. With the switch, you just tell max that if the
amplitude
is under a certain value, to turn it off, if it is over, turn it on.
Simple.
No MIDI.  Cripes, I could plug my guitar into the FW400 and control
parameters, turn things on and off, etc.  I could program max to turn
effects on and off, only when I play certain frequencies on the guitar.

However, most of these devices (as you pointed out earlier) won't  map the
voltage on a linear scale. But if you find a volume pedal that can switch
from linear to log, then it would work out of the box.

I could still use a normal volume pedal for my system, connecting the
output
of the volume pedal to a FW400 input, and the FW400 output to the input of
the volume pedal (no TSR required)....BUT I would have to add some extra
code in my max patches to convert the log scale to linear...extra work,
but
doable.

Kris

Hi Kris,
Can you please clarify for me...
The EV-5 is generally considered to be an "expression pedal" and will work
in an exp.pedal input on hardware processors,  or exp.pedal input on a midi
controller  - correct?

Pedals like the Ernie Ball have inputs/outputs and are considered "volume
pedals". However, they will work as expression pedals when plugged into the
exp.pedal input of a hardware processor or midi controller when used with a
TRS-TSx2 Y cable.     ie. they will send CC 0-127 and can be calibrated
like an EV-5  - Correct?

In any case, I don't understand how an EV-5 (not a volume pedal) can be
used with the audio in/outs on a Fireface 400.

-Qua