Re: Scripting/Command Chaining in the Max/MSP Kaiser Looper

On 12 nov 2007, at 19.15, Krispen Hartung wrote:

> Per, I can elaborate with a specific scenario of what I'm planning
> to do.
>
> 1. I record a 20 second loop (just free note and chordal improv)
> 2. I hit the play button to playback the recorded loop
> 3. At the same time, or anytime during playback, I hit a new button
> on my MIDI controller that triggers a gradual pitch (and speed)
> change to the recorded loop
> 4. The max objects that initiate the pitch change will have a fixed
> pre-set that determines the starting pitch, the ending pitch, and
> the time it takes to go from this start pitch to end pitch; for
> example, right now it is set to start at normal speed ("1" in the
> max object), and gradually change the pitch of the loop to -.02 in
> reverse (that is very, very slow and low...it sounds amazing).
> 5. However, I hook up my expression pedals to two inlets in the
> object (~line) that determines the start pitch, end pitch, and
> duration times, such that with one pedal I control the ending pitch
> (or it could be beginning), and the other pedal controls the time
> it takes for the pitch change from beginnnig to end point to occur).
>
> I could change the function so that the pitch starts from -0.2
> (very low and in reverse) moves gradually to 1 (normal speed), and
> then continues in forward at amost a standstill, to as high as I
> want (let's say 20 octaves above initial pitch?).  I could change
> the values with my expression pedals and hit the button again, to
> re-trigger the continuous pitch change with the new values.

That seems to be a very useful sequence of actions. But since Jeff
have already answered I won't torture my brain with that. I can
imagine how your patch will sound, and it's truly awesome! However, I
think rather than scripting I would perform all the listed actions
manually, to implement your idea with Mobius.

When researching this post I listened back to an old recording of
mine from last year, where I used the script I wrote about in an
earlier mail in this thread. It gives a kind of "psychedelic symphony
orchestra" touch. Can be heard around 2:50 into the file targeted by
this playlist:
http://www.jamendo.com/get/track/id/track/audio/play/32656

As I said, I'm generally turning more to manually mangling. Simply
kicking Mobius into Overdub Mode and recording your playing while
changing the Rate Shift from an expression pedal is very powerful for
sound design. When I had the TC Electronic device I used it for this
type of real-time mangling (I had to sell it but will probably buy a
new as soon as I can afford it). I tried to implement that function
in the VST effects I now replace the Fireworx with, but it crashes
the computer. My guess is that Steinberg is to blame for this because
they never took responsibility for keeping the VST code put out there
by Coding Avarage Joe clean.

I also read the posts about the new Eventide Time Factor and I
compared it's specifications with the Fireworx. It doesn't have half
the amount of effect modules you get with the Fireworx and a second
hand Fireworx is just a little more dough than a new Time Factor. But
on the other hand, If you do not use badly coded VST's it might be
possible to set up such real-time processing on just a laptop. That's
also tempting for the future. I guess that AU plug-ins in OS X in
general are more stable than VST in Windows, but then you miss out on
Mobius. Ouch.... the market for an advanced and highly configurable
OS X looping software is really prosperous. I have also been thinking
about making one with MAX/msp, but it would just be so damn boring
and time consuming that it's just no worth it.

I'm checking out a very cool AU plug-in now, Riverrun. Next thing to
try out is if it can be automated in real-time in Bidule on a Mac.
It's granular plug-in that freezes, slows down and speeds up the
audio buffer. My idea is that you should be able to play it just like
a looper. Assigning expression pedals to stuff like Granule Size,
Speed, Random. And then assign buttons for Record and for "playing"
the pitch of the granular loop like a Moog pedal. With that monster
you might only need one or two Augustus Loop (after Riverrun). For
examples of how Riverrun sounds, check out the television show Super
Natural. Steve Tavaglione uses Riverrun a lot in the soundtracks to
each episode. But he's just scratching its surface. Riverrun is also
included in the DAW Digital Performer. The Michael Norris granular AU
plug-ins are similar (as is the KT Granulator) but in comparison
Riverrun just blows them away.

'nuff said, I'm out.

Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen