Re: bad news, good news, bad news

From: Tony K
> What are people's thoughts on the 'new' video formats?  HDD?  DVD?
> MemStick?

Invariably tape is still king in non-ultra-pro markets.  HD on MiniDV is
obtainable by as little as £650 UK (which is probably, minus the draconian
black-hole taxes and tariffs, quite a lot less in the US).  As far as I
know
DVD/stick cams are using compression of some kind, which could make for
trouble in future days when remastering for The New Format, whatever it
will
be by then.  As far as HD goes I think the camcorder and other markets are
still shaking the fleas off from the HD-BD format wars, and within a year
prices will become more reasonable.  Unless Sony wants to jack up their
royalty fee of course.

Duncan?  What's your take on this level of camcorder media?

I'm deciding right now between a Canon MD235 and a Panasonic NV-GS90EB-S,
both of them Mini-DV.  The Panasonic I suspect will take the cake, but I
love Canon's internal menuing as it really tends to take the work out of
using said appliance.  Gonna test drive this weekend if I get a chance
after
the Big Anonymous-Critics Worldwide Protests tomorrow (see
http://www.enturbulation.org).  London's Tottenham Court Road can be a
good
place to handle the goods, as well as get emergency hardware replacements
and picket dangerous cults.

SP Goodman
The Usually Right "Reverend" Norle Enturbulata DDT, DTS, OOD
*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/enturbulata