Re: OT: compensation (WAS Re: Looping venue help)

Two quick comments:

At 6:01 PM +0200 4/15/08, Per Boysen wrote:

>I know that's how it is. But isn't everyone positive to pay for good
>music and art? We pay for it because we love it and want it!

This is interesting.  From the viewpoint of the listener/consumer
(this discussion has mostly concentrated on the POV of the
musician/producer) I'd agree with this.  If someone provides us a
desirable service or product, it should only be natural -- not to
mention good manners -- to wish to show our gratitude.  That can take
the form of money, but many musicians receive what they feel is
suitable compensation merely in the evident appreciation of their art
by an audience.

You don't necessarily have to be paid in cash to "get paid".

>pay a person that creates this art in order to keep his/her skills
>up and evolve without being slowed down by "a job on the side".

The obvious caveat here is that everyone is different; there are no
universal rules for this.

For instance, I've been lucky enough to have long stretches in my
professional career where I was able to support myself through other
(passive) means, like investments, dead relatives, etc.  During those
spans, it was possible to consider myself a full-time musician and/or
studio engineer, since income was not an issue and I could devote
myself wholly to music.

And you know what, I wasn't really any more productive.  What I did
discover was that "noise expands to fill the bandwidth available".
Being able to devote more time meant that I was able to take on
another half-dozen half-baked projects that ultimately went nowhere,
and that really did nothing for me in the long run.  I also found
that other distractions (like, erm, email) were able to eat up more
of my time.  Since I had all day to get around to working on my
musical projects, it was no big deal to give over a few extra minutes
to answering a message, or surfing the internet, or... oh geez,
lookit the time!!!  ;)

Like a few others have brought up, having a day gig keeps me focused.
When working a regular job, I have to work "X" hours at making an
income.  That leaves only "Z" hours which are dedicated to
music/studio work, so I have to concentrate and make the best use of
that time.  Are there times when having more time at hand would help
a particular project?  Sure, but there are at least as many (more!)
occasions where I'd end up getting distracted/lost if I didn't have
that deadline to keep my eye on.

Just chalk that up to ADD, I guess.

Also, having another occupation helps clear my mind of music, so that
I can focus on the music when I get to it.  And vice-versa, as
working on the music helps sweep away the normal daily concerns as
well.

So for some people, a system where individuals can concentrate solely
on their art is a good thing.  For others, not so much.  The point is
to just keep in mind that everyone is different, and, as always...

YMMV.  ;)

        --m.
--
_____