Re: Is using Pre-Recorded Loops Cheating?

buzap@gmx.net wrote:
> here is a topic I find quite controversial:
> When doing live looping, do you find it uncool/immoral if you see
>somebody performing with some pre-recorded loops?
> I was quite dogmatic on this topic but now I don't mind that much, as
>long as it serves an artistically credible music performance.
> I just wanted to hear your opinions:
> Would you buy into that if you'd see someone using some pre-recorded
>loops (rhythm, electronic, acoustic...) during his performance?
> Or do you think he might as well just sing karaoke? ;-)

How live is it if the loops are pre-recorded?  That being said, if you
use one because it sets up the proper tempo and loop length and allows
you to relax enough to do a good job at overdubbing additional loops and
soloing over them, then where's the harm?  I so no need to be dogmatic
about such things.

If, by chance, you're talking about using commercial loops in Live, then
I have two thoughts.
1. Some people may recognize the loop you use and that may detract from
how original some people will consider you.  Most people won't know the
difference.  It all depends upon who you want to impress or if you need
some sort of "credibility," if any of that matters to you.
2.  Lots of bass player play a Rickenbacker for its distinctive sound.
Same goes for Les Pauls, Mellotrons, violins, etc.  The difference is in
how these instruments are played.  In some cases, processing is used to
customize the sound.  If you let an unprocessed loop free-run. then I've
not too impressed.  But if ou PLAY the loop (manually) or process it,
cut it up, or do something to make it your own, then I'm much more
impressed.  And I'm *sure* that your goal in life is to impress *me*!  ;-)

Cheers,

Bill