re: is using Pre-recorded Loops Cheating

Quoting Rick Walker <looppool@cruzio.com>:

> Matt Davignon wrote:
> "Things that are not OK:

The OK/Not OK issue is a test that I apply only to myself.  It occurs
to me that what I would consider "cheating" for me (a
composer/performer/improviser) would be "ok" within someone else's
artistic space.

For every thing that I can think of that I personally wouldn't do,
there is at least one celebrated artist who has done those very things.

I have to conclude that the only thing that is not OK for me is to:
try to be someone that I'm not and/or try to be all things to all
people.

Whether I happen to compose a work that uses my own pre-recorded
material or is entirely live, I simply do what is necessary for me to
realize the result that I want.

> John Foxx was really
> interested in emotions and lack of emotions:  machines interacting with
>human
> beings.

Yes! Yes!  Often when I perform a work, I look for a crescendo of
emotion the same as I look for dynamic, tempo, texture, and rhythmic
changes.

Often times, there is more excitement and tension from "holding back"
than from "giving 100% emotion 100% of the time".

> To me, the artificial was far more exotic and enticing.

I think the beauty of analog synthesis is its failure to replicate
acoustic instruments.

> Even trying to emulate a drum machine perfectly is fun for me because
> I'm a human being and can't do it.   It's just fascinating to me the
>really
> minor imperfections that occur when attempting to do something silly like
> this.

In my looping works, I discovered that not all loops have to be played
by looping hardware.  Sometimes I just play the same phrase over and
over in real time.  In fact, I try to play it mechanically enough that
it really SOUNDS like a loop.  I have found this a most effective
technique.

> Personally, I have to confess that the preoccupation of many musicians in
> their attempts to never have anything repeated is actually more
>irritating to
> me than the ones who are guily of repeating things over and over.

Always a balancing act between repetition vs. meandering.  Too much of
either can be boring.  How much is too much?  Heck, I don't know.

> That's my take on it, though it probably won't be the most popular on
>this
> list.

Raising my coffee mug in a toast to Rick, Matt, and everyone else here.

I am grateful for this thread ... it gave me some ideas for some new music.

-- Kevin