Re: is using Pre-recorded Loops Cheating

Hi there,

(Fair warning, "old guy" rant about to ensue)

It's just an opinion (my opinion) Chris . . . however, I have to say
you seem to have it precisely backwards.

Being an "entertainer" is about "ego" (fashion, style, false show-biz
ethics, hey look at me, I'm a star, worship me, validate me, love me,
don't I look good?, watch this next move, I'm so friggin' cool, etc.).

And being an "artist" (no matter who is in the audience, or even if
there is no audience) is about "reaching the unreachable" - almost an
ego-less internal spiritual quest (if it is permissible to use that
much overused word).

I find it preferable, and perhaps a little easier to play for other
musicians and/or "artists" (at least they have a hope of understanding
what I am trying to do (and NOT trying to do) and might be motivated to
suss out the difference).

Playing for the normal "bar crowd" is too often like playing for people
with really, really low and very superficial expectations (they just
wanna party, get drunk, get laid, or simply be distracted from reality
for a while).

Nothing particularly wrong with that . . . but that's no more "art"
than the paintings of Thomas Kinkade.

It's disposable, meaningless fluff . . . it's entertainment.

Playing for people who have a little more understanding (going in)
whoever they are - be they painters, poets, players, or reference
librarians - is an encouragement to do more, do better, to transcend
one's self, to be "in the moment" to and create whatever that's in you
trying to get out.

Now, if they're an audience of pro or semi-pro "entertainers" that
would indeed be hard.

They are looking strictly to be "impressed" by the form, finesse and
appearance . . . and could'nt give a rat's patootie for meaning,
content, innovation or other significance.

That's what's so sickening about "American Idol" - that's exactly what
that show is.

It's a bunch of pandering egos looking to slap themselves on their own
backsides, or otherwise be stroked and petted and fawned over.

It's so blatant it's nearly obscene.

It's stuff like that which makes television nearly unwatchable any more
. . . and radio nearly unlistenable.

It's like our civilization is choking on it's own vomit and still
trying to cram down more.

Oh well . . . just keep a smile on.

Somebody cue up some classic rock and set up another round of beers -
rave on!

Cheers,

Ted

On May 17, 2008, at 7:35 AM, Chris Sewell wrote:

> I couldn't disagree more. Playing for musicians is about feeding ones
> ego. Reaching the unreachable is far more gratifying.
> On May 16, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
>
>> Chris Sewell schrieb:
>>> It's friggin show business. Our job is to entertain. Not impress
>>> other musicians.
>>
>> To impress an audience might be entertaining, but its not the job of
>> an artist to entertain. (Those are called entertainers...)
>> The job of an artist is more about impressing the audience with your
>> personal expression, something the don't know yet. If its an audience
>> of musicians its a bit harder but also more rewarding...
>>
>> Stefan

tEd ® kiLLiAn

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that
you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

http://www.pfmentum.com/PFMCD007.html
http://www.CDbaby.com/cd/tedkillian
http://www.guitar9.com/fluxaeterna.html
http://guitarplayer.com/article/y2k6-international-live/Jun-07/27768

Ted Killian's "Flux Aeterna" is also available at Apple iTunes