AW: BEMF-3 Photos and MP3s - and live recordings in general

Hey Krispen,

that trombone didn't come from mars...rather Valhalla? ;)

I remember I said that "we" rocked the house, not the recording - meaning that right at that event (being in a Minkovskyan way something happening at a certain time and at certain geometric coordinates). This needn't be true for the recordings...

There are a lot of different opinions about the validity of live recordings, and positions here include:
    * live recordings are not allowed (a performance is only valid at that time in place)
    * live recordings are only allowed as a completely unchanged recording of a (stereo) microphone in the room
    * live recordings are allowed as above but also with some audio treatment
    * multitrack mixing is ok
    * editing is ok

I, personally, believe that the aesthetics of recordings are different than those of a live performance. For that reason, I tend to edit live recordings, not necessarily to remove mistakes (whatever that may be in freely improvised material - see that shot on my myspace page of you and Erin arguing), but to change the arrangement to make it work in that other context.

Summarizing:
I'll do edits of the Saturday session after I got the WAV files. Until then, you can either remove the MP3s from the site or leave them there to replace them afterwards, or keep both the raw recordings and the edits there...your call.

        Rainer

Yes, where are your MP3s, Rainer?  Let's hear that trombone from mars.  :)

Oh, yeah....[snicker]...I guess I sort of took your response that the recording of you, me, and Motoko, rocked the house, as permission to publish.  I didn't think you would object. That's what