Re: OT: Here's what I want to do... what do I need?

I know there are e-mails in the archive relating to stripping down a computer, eliminating processes, etc. so I will definetly research those and look into using a computer to do everything I need... I think I should.

I am not an expert user, so a plug and play option is much more convenient, safe and understandable.  For a non-expert user like myself all the technical aspects are very daunting.  I don't know anything about how a computer operates, or how to customize beyond the GUI.

If someone would/could show me their setup, give me a demo and let me pick their brain... I would be... SO thankful.  Is there anyone on the list that lives near NE Wyoming (within 6 hours or so) that can do this???  Heck, even a Skype session would be extremely valuable to me to answer some of my questions.

>Why is it that people think a PC/Mac crash/failure any more likely than any other hardware failure?
>Is it just because of 'bad press' ?? Or bad experience?
For me that conclusion is based entirely on my experience.  None of my hardware has ever crashed except for an EDP (but it was my fault, not the EDP's).  Cubase on my Mac has jumped while playing, frozen up, and even quit.  I fully expect computers that handle hundreds of processes simoultaneously to tweak out unexpectedly from time to time, based on my experience.  I think that a device specifically dedicated to a specific task will be less likely to fail and handle the task better... again, based on my experience. Again, I know it's very possible to loop/sequence/sample with 1 or more computers, but there is a problem with the interface between the floor and the keyboard... i.e. ME :)

For troubleshooting computer performance issues I am limitied to 1) turning airport off 2) restarting my computer 3) Fiddling with the sample rates.  How do I maximize my computer CPU power?  How do I strip a computer down of unneeded processes? Does the program have bugs? What about updates, are they affecting it?  I haven't the foggiest.  So, I'm likely to go into battle already crippled by my lack of technical knowledge if (at this point) I decide to go with a computer that I use for e-mail, word processing, iTunes, video, bitTorrent, etc, etc.  Maybe in the future I will use a computer or two that are *dedicated* to making music but I'm not there yet, if and when I feel comfortable doing so, i.e. when I have faith in my knowledge and technical abilities.

Really, if someone is willing to take the time to Skype out or even meet... that would take me light years ahead in the right dirrection.

Thanks!!

Adam