re: Looping Strategies

Some thoughts in response.  I hope you don't take offense, but I have
some problems with categorical statements even though I understand many
of your observations about looping approaches.

> "the syndrome of the One Man Band"
"the syndrome of the One Man Band" is only a syndrome if you make a
value judgment on the 'validity' of this as a musical art. Speaking for
myself, I often use my guitar synth to construct a song form with all
the typical accompaniment drums, bass, keys, pads, etc - the Repeater
allows me to then solo over four simultaneous loops. Those loops can be
mutated, reversed, etc for variety. I prefer creating all loops live
except for a 'canned' drum loop, which in my mind fades quickly into the
background. Yes - it's a one man band if you look at it that way. And if
I understand you correctly, layering does indeed present a problem when
a loop gets too 'dense' (vertical motion?).

> "Sound Designer".This is the second Stade.
OK, I might be in 'stage two' this week.  During a looping set, I will
sometimes go with a simpler theme - for example: a wash of sound or
minimalist theme w/ no drums that evolves over time by varying feedback
level.  The technology allows you to take a very simple soundscape and
create a mood or to serve as a bed to improvise over.

But again it seems you're making a value judgment on your 'sound
designers'. The problem IMO, may be that you have left the audience out of
the equation.  Hopefully the performer is trying to engage listeners at
some level, because 'performance art' can't really exist in a vacuum. Many
artists, in different mediums (painting, film, music) are confrontational,
even abusive just to elicit a reaction in the observer.  I happen to love
effects and of course my guitar synth is really the same thing...  You
obviously find effects, even looping devices to be cliche, although I bet
it took you some time experimenting with them in order to reach your
conclusions.  Also, the audience may not be as quick to label either the
one-man-band or heavily processed sounds as cliches, especially if they're
chatting with friends or people-watching.

> play briefly the begining,the middle,and the end of the track and if i
>can notice the same loop there and there, then i quit...
You've expressed your preference and your method of excluding a whole
genre of performances.  You've made a perfectly valid statement, and we
all agree that no one has the time to listen to much of the sh** that is
'released' on the internet and readily available for download.

But because you use a specific screening technique, I wonder if you are
still willing to invest the time required see how a work evolves in real
time or just find it easier to decide what you *don't* like and avoid
listening to those genres.  Many of my peers tend to exclude new or
unfamiliar music -just like parents have done with the music every new
generation adopts as their own.  I also know people that just can't sit
still and listen to music anymore - I sometimes have to actually force
myself to do this.

> Musicians, not "Mad professors"
Some of us profess to being musicians first - other performers surely
wish to create a 'mad professor' persona.  Others here just want to
entertain/amuse people.  I remember Paul McCartney saying that the
Beatles thought of themselves as 'entertainers' because the concept of a
rock star hadn't even emerged.  You are obviously a musician, but are
making some sweeping statements about motivations for looping and the
artistic merit of different approaches and applications.

> i don't intend to shift to Guitar for the sake of Looping (no offence)
None taken - but bass is a great instrument for looping, especially
since looping can expand an understanding of musical roles not typically
associated with the bass.

Sorry - this got a bit too long - I presume we'll see other comments
about your observations.

Dan Ash
White Plains, NY