Re: Firewire audio interface recommendations

luigimeloni74@libero.it wrote:
> Hi. One interface I've used without problems both on Mac (OSX) and on PC
>(windows xp sp1/sp2) is the M-Audio 410. it has 4 in and 8 out, and as it
>is in phase-out I think you could find it for less than what you wish to
>pay. The drivers work well, both on mac and on pc, and the quality is not
>bad (good for live shows, maybe a bit less for studio recording). I'm
>currently using it in pair with a m-audio profire lightbridge (the 32
>channels only adat I/O version)with external converters, and am satisfied
>with its performance.
> If you need something more in quality, you could find some used motu
>(the 828 is in phase out, too and the ultra-lite works well, too) or an
>rme fireface 400.
> As far as the rca-pin to jack conversion you can go without problems
>with a converter and a good quality cable.

I'd say get an RME Fireface 400, it's a decent step up from M-Audio.
If money is an issue, they can sometimes be had at decent prices on
evilbay, since the Fireface 800 came out.
RME is known to have a very stable wordclock (for sync'ing the clock
between various gear), which removes the need for an external clock if
you later expand with more studio gear.
RME is also known to have good quality drivers for both Mac and XP, and
have good customer service.
No, I don't have a Fireface, mine is an older Multiface ;)

@luigimeloni:  Have you had any issues with your Lightbridge?
I remember talks about (driver?) stability problems on the rec.audio.pro
newsgroup last year, but haven't followed up on it since then.
It's a pretty nifty bridge for that low money..

--
rgds,
van Sinn