Re: a moronic question

> Tit-for-tat here: one of the notorious "cheats" that some VST/AU
> soft-synths use in order to keep CPU-usage down is to use a sampled
> sine/square/whatever wave as the source for the oscillators (as
> opposed to generating it in realtime using math; merely reading back
> a table is less CPU-intensive).

Yep, I heard that before :) I think all romplers like Motif’s, Triton’s
etc work like this. Btw: I had a similar discussion on a synthforum. I own
a Prophet 08, it's marketed as a synthesizer with a 100% analog signal
path but it uses a digital controlled oscillator (DCO) and a parameter
called "oscillator slop" which allows subtle amounts of frequency drift.
In others words: to add typical voltage controlled (VCO) behavior ;) So a
purist says it's not a 100% analog synthesizer. But I personally have no
problems with it; it's the result what counts and the Prophet sounds like
the real deal, so as analog as can be.

> So, in many VST's you're using samples as the synth.  Is that
> sampling, or synthesis, or both?

I would say synthesis, since you use it as a source to synthesize sounds.
But that's my interpretation of it; I know many others would probably say
sampling. I associate sampling with either drums loops to play loops and
huge sample libraries such as Ivory Grand Pianos or NI Acoustic Piano to
simulate

Funny, the K1 was my first synth! And although it was noisy, you could
program amazing sounds with it. And it's a pity the Prophet VS was a bad
product quality wise, it deserved better, it might have saved Sequential.
---
Sjaak
http://www.livelooping.be/
http://www.overgaauw.be/
http://www.myspace.com/sjaakovergaauw

---
Reeds meer dan 2000 Scarlet klanten betalen geen abonnement meer!
Doe mee en surf ook gratis! >> http://www.scarlet.be/nl/mgm