Re: Fwd: here and now / evolving loops

This is an interesting discussion.

It's true, Fabio, many looping artists tend to stay fixed on a tonal
center. One simple trick I've found is to make a sudden or gradual
change to a different chord in the same key. The most obvious is to go
to the relative major or minor, so if it's been a heavy E minor groove,
I'll start feeding in G major triads. It can create some real drama,
while allowing an established loop to continue. It's not hard to switch
back and forth, especially if you replace the lowest part of your loops
(whatever serves as your "bass").

More dramatically, I'll lay groundwork for an actual key change by
inserting bits of very nontonal, undefined stuff, slowly obliterating
the previous key center. When the previous key has disappeared in a
nontonal mess, I'll start a new one, replacing the nontonal stuff with
inside material. Coming from chaos to a defined key center can work
really nicely.

Daryl Shawn
www.swanwelder.com
www.chinapaintingmusic.com