Re: things of sad beauty

Dear Todd,
you mentioned:
"Verklärte Nacht by Schoenberg
3rd Movement of Pines of Rome
and even another Copland's Nonet for strings, 1st movement
Richard Strauss, Metamorphosen
Arvo Pärt, Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten (fitting for the looping
community:))
Ravel, Gaspard De La Nuit (Piano) this piece never gets old to me. I
could listen over and over."

I love when  I get a list like yours
and don't know practically everything on the list.  You just gave me a
week's worth of new listening:

Thanks so much.

I, do,  love Gaspard De La Nuit (and wish someone would do a Suite for
Piano and Orchestra using that piece of music
in the same way that Harrison wrote a beautiful Suite for Toy Piano and
Orchestra,  orchestrating John Cages' Toy Piano
piece)  but it's the only thing on your list that I don't know.

Dad loved /Verklarte Nacht/ by Schoenberg but I didn't get it at the
time.  I think I"ll go back and listen.
Dad also just loved Mahler and Dvorak...........................I don't
know why, but I've just never developed a
taste for either composer.................oh well!
/
The Pines of Rome/ was composed by  Ottorino Respighi............
........again, a piece my dad loved and one that I haven't really
listened to.

I'm especially looking into getting into Arvo Part  (Benjamin Britten
aint so bad either).  I don't know anything about his music.

Thanks for your suggestions.

*************
************

Kevin mentioned that his son is really into Steve Reich
 I have to mention a piece of music of his that was never popular in the
United States
because it only came out , originally,  on a very expensive triple Vinyl
release by Deutsche Grammafon.

/Music for Mallet Instruments, Voices and Organ
</wiki/Music_for_Mallet_Instruments,_Voices_and_Organ>/    is my very
favorite piece by Steve Reich.............it is a quintessential
piece for live looping using controlled feeback
rates......................lol.................... not really, but if
Reich had been born later
I feel he may have composed using live loopers.     This piece has since
been released more inexpensively as a single disc
on Nonesuch Records.   Check it out......................get a massage
listening to it or , if it's your bag (hasnt' been mine
for 30 years now) take some psychedelics and listen to it.   It's like
beautiful music from an alien world:  mysterious
and exquisite.

While we are mentioning that , there is also the exquisite
/
Music for Strings, Percussion and Celeste/ by Bela Bartok