Re: things of sad beauty / The V Man

On Jan 6, 2009, at 4:07 PM, Daryl Shawn wrote:

This list could surely go on and on...for instrumental music,

On a good number of the many albums by Vangelis, there are a lot of "things of sad beauty". Ones in particular that have always stood out for me are his
"Voices" album (1995), and "Oceanic" (1996), and "El Greco" (1995?), and L'Apocalypse des Animaux" (1973). A lot of very beautiful and moving songs are found all
through these albums, and there others to be found on some other releases by him as well, especially his 2 collaborations with the *great* Irene Pappas.
These above are just the ones that immediately come to mind for myself at the mo'.  He has an extensive catalogue built up over his *very long* career.

Some of his stuff may seem too "syrupy" for some folks (never has for me personally), but over all, I think he has come thru right nicely.
I dig his music, at least and that is all that matters to me.  "Beauty is in the ear of the beholder", I guess.... :-)

And also, for those who may (sadly) remember, do not be put off from checking out the Big V's many albums, based *only* on the *extreme overkill* of the theme
to the film "Chariots of Fire",  which got played on the radio, etc, and even *covered* by others, (Ferrante & Teicher!  No! Please!  Make it stop!) and played *to death*!

Even the Big V himself did *not* see *that* coming!  He just was just commissioned to compose for someone's film, is all.  Too bad that the f-ing "industry" decided to
*take* that one song  *too* damn far!  That overkill crap gave The V Man an undeserved, later bad rap in some peoples' minds for quite a long time after it happened.
Thankfully, it did not deter others. (like Moi)

PS- But I guess a "bright" note on the "COF" overkill debacle was that likely (or hopefully) he got some *serious royalties*!  I certainly hope so...

Enjoy!

All the best,
Rev Fever